Thank you for being part of the IIABCal community. To ensure the best possible experience for all members, we have established some basic guidelines for participation.
By joining and using this community, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines. You also agree to reserve discussions and any shared files and content to that best suited to the medium. This is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in an ongoing conversation. Questions should be directed to our Member Services department via the Contact Us link on this site. Technical questions on association management issues should directed to our helpdesk.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. If you have questions, contact the member services department. In order to preserve a climate that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate membership in this community for anyone who violate these rules.
- Don't challenge or attack others. The discussions and comments are meant to stimulate conversation not to create contention. Let others have their say, just as you may.
- Don't post commercial messages on any discussion list, resource library entry, or other area where others might see it. Contact people directly with product and service information if you believe it would help them.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the lists and in the libraries is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Please note carefully all items listed in the disclaimer and legal rules below, particularly regarding the copyright ownership of information posted, and the potential criminal (and civil) liabilities for violation of antitrust law.
- Remember that other participants have the right to reproduce postings to this site unless you specify otherwise.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate lists or libraries. Do not spam several lists or libraries with the same message.
All messages must add to the body of knowledge. We reserve the right to remove any message for any reason.
Discussion Group Etiquette
- Include a signature tag on all messages. Include your name, affiliation, location.
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Include only the relevant portions of the original message in your reply. Delete any header information, and put your response before the original posting.
- Only send a message to the entire list when it contains information that everyone can benefit from.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals--not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link to the left of every message.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as remove me from the list. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing e-mail addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new e-mail address. Simply change your settings.
- Warn other list subscribers of lengthy messages either in the subject line or at the beginning of the message body with a line that says "Long Message."
The Legal Stuff
This site is provided as a service for the members of the Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of California. IIABCal is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. We disclaim all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by IIABCal officers, directors, employees, independent contractors, agents or any other third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall IIABCal be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants IIABCal and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
It is the policy of the Association to comply with antitrust laws. Association online communication boards pose heightened antitrust concerns because they often involve discussions between members who are economic competitors, and because discussions can quickly develop into inappropriate communications that could expose the Association—or contributing members—to antitrust danger long before those monitoring the board are aware of it.
Users of the IIABCal member communication board are reminded of their obligation to comply with antitrust laws. For a complete copy of IIABC’s policy on antitrust compliance, click here. In summary, though, members should be aware that they should be party to discussions of present or potential future conduct in the marketplace.
Generally speaking, there should be no discussions or other exchanges of information concerning current or future rates, rate structures, dividends or dividend structures, premiums, areas served or not to be served, marketing practices, costs, profits or any other aspects of the operations of the companies represented or served by producers who read or post to this message medium.
For example, prohibited topics might include (but would hardly be limited to) discussions regarding salaries of particular agency or brokerage jobs, rebating or feeing practices, commissions paid by insurers or to producers, discussion of how particular agencies or individuals will or should respond to particular insurance company or any other third-party actions, any concerted (or group) activity designed to pressure an insurer or other competitor take or rescind any action.
It is appropriate, however, to discuss methods of operation and similar matters that may assist members in practicing more efficiently and effectively.
If you believe that this policy is being violated, please contact IIABCal General Counsel Steve Young, at firstname.lastname@example.org or IIABCal CEO Clark Payan, at email@example.com.
IIABCal does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of IIABCal, we will take all appropriate action.
IIABCal reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.